Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Vacation Day 3


This is a picture of my deck.

I had a guy came over to replace some rotted wood. Basically, the steps. which were a half-moon shape and ran the length of the deck opening, and one of the floor slats were rotting away. He said he would be at my house at 7:30 AM. He didn't show up until 9:30. Now, 7:30 AM has to be pretty close to the first appointment of the day. I was thinking to myself, "How does one because 2 hours late for the first appointment of the day?" And he never even called me to explain why he was late. Turns out he had a 6:00 appointment and then had to go to the lumber yard to pick up the boards for my deck. However, the lumber yard was so backed up he decided to come over to my place and remove the rotted wood and then go back to the lumber yard to pick up the boards. Turns out it was a good thing he did that because he would've picked up the wrong size board for the replacement slat. He would have brought a 1/8 inch thinner board. He finished the whole thing by 5 PM and he was the only one here. There is a slight gap on the left side where the steps meet the concrete, but the runners are flush against the cement, so I'm not sweating that. He does have to come back though, because he didn't get to the shrub pruning I asked him to do 2 of my shrubs in the front yard. He said he had to come back to Clawson tomorrow for another job and if he could fit it in he would stop by. If not, he'll get to it early next week. He charged me about $300 to demolish the old steps and haul the wood away and about $800 to put in the new steps and floor slat. Does that sound like a decent price? I have nothing to compare it with. When he first presented the costs to me, the $300 was written down as "demo/haul". I thought that meant that he was going to build the steps, show them to me and if I didn't like it, he would charge me $300 and take them away and I wouldn't have to pay the other $800. He had to explain that "demo" meant "demolition" and "haul" was to haul the rotted wood away. I felt kinda stupider than normal at that point.

The rest of my day has been spent drinking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's me. Sackmouth. Jes to let you know I ain't no lost Cosby kid. You just never saw much a me cuz I wuz always behind dat fat a** Fat Albert. An those wasn't MY balls in my mouth. They wuz Albert's. Hey. hey hey! I din' mine, really. Cuz I got to be on TV. Ceptin' nobody really members me cuz I'se Sackmouth. An I got a mouthful a Fat Albert's nuts.

Signed, Sackmouth